Committee of the Whole - February 20, 2018
FIRST - I want to provide a quick review of the Committee of the Whole....this excerpt is from the Town of Beaumont website:
"The Committee of the Whole enables committee members (Town Elected Officials) to review upcoming and important issues and opportunities with members of administration where deemed appropriate, where the focus is on understanding the broader policy implications of the items being considered.
The purpose of the Committee of the Whole is to:
- Receive updates on emerging and ongoing projects and initiatives.
- Meet principally as a forum for discussion rather than as a decision-making arena, enabling all committee members to discuss key items without the requirement to make a decision."
NOW - this is still a meeting that the public can attend, and, the meetings have been streamed on the Town of Beaumont Facebook page!
At the meeting....there were 3 items discussed. They were:
1. Our Zoning Blueprint: 2018 Land Use Bylaw Project Charter - the purpose of this exercise is to update the current Land Use Bylaw. The update will take into account changes in the requirements of the MGA. It will allow us to make some changes that will positively affect the issues businesses have had with signage and French design theme requirements. There is a Project Charter created to provide context, scope and timeline for this project. With a budget of $275,000....this is a LARGE task, and a very important one for our Town.
2. Introduction to the Transit Program - administration provided a brief summary of the transit service to date and an introduction to SMART FARE Technology. Discussions were held in November 2017 to introduce the potential for transit systems (Beaumont, Fort Saskatchewan, Leduc and Spruce Grove) to join the Regional SMART FARE initiative with Edmonton, St. Albert and Strathcona County when the system is implemented in 2020. The key here is "REGIONAL COOPERATION"....and a commitment to the required collaboration to get there!
3. 2018 Consolidated Budget, Operating and Capital - the 2018 Budget was presented, updates that have been made were highlighted and there was some Q&A around a few items. The 2018 Budget will now move forward to be discussed/voted at the February 27, 2018 Council Meeting.
PLEASE NOTE: These notes are NOT MEANT to replace any formal minutes created/posted by Administration. They are a simplified version, created by myself, to inform residents, at a "high level" (and, very quickly) of the information covered in the council meeting!
I will soon have my "Beaumont Council Business Cards" that will include contact information. I will share it once it is active and available!
Visit me on Facebook if you'd like to comment on this. Please, keep all comments civil and respectful!